Westar Energy provides a service that is essential to our modern way of life, yet many have no idea when they flip their light switch where their electricity comes from – let alone what it takes to produce, distribute and maintain that valuable service. Eight YE participants will be challenged to develop a “Lesson in a Box” for teachers who want to educate their 3rd to 6th grade students on how the electric utility industry works. The materials should enable the teacher to complete the lesson without the assistance of a Westar employee; in other words, it should be self-contained.
- Time Commitment: June 5–June 16 (Excludes weekends) 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM | Required selection mixer for all applicants: Wednesday, May 17th from 5:00-6:30PM
- Applicants should be interested in STEM studies (science, technology, engineering or math)
- Potential YE Academy Points Possible: 200
Koch Industries, Inc.
20 YE participants will experience a behind the scenes look at the largest privately held company in Kansas; tour the corporate headquarters, and network with YE alumni working at Koch. Day 1 you will receive a crash course on the recruiting basics: the importance of a technical degree, the value of starting your career with Koch companies, and the benefits of living and working in Wichita. Day 2 you will work in groups to create your own branding strategy targeted to local high school seniors. Day 3 you will pitch your recommendations to leadership for a chance to win various prizes.
- This will be a great fit for students considering careers in Business, Information Technology, Human Resources, Marketing or Engineering.
- Time Commitment: 9am-12pm June 27-29.
- Potential YE Academy Points Possible: 40
Case New Holland
Case New Holland is a global leader that designs, produces and sells agricultural and construction equipment. Only 20 participants will be able to take part in a one day opportunity to tour their plant and participate in fun, competitive activities while learning more about the manufacturing business. Participants will get to perform virtual reality engineering tasks and interact with and compete against engineers at Case New Holland.
- Dress code: Long pants or jeans. No open toe shoes/sandals, skirts, dresses or shorts.
- Time Commitment: June 20 from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM
- Potential YE Academy Points Possible: 30
Morgan Stanley will select six YE alumni to peel back the many layers in the world of financial planning and investing. Aside from learning more about the financial sector and the jobs that exist within this fast-paced world, participants will be paired with a mentor at the company and learn first-hand how to create a financial plan for an existing client! At the end of the partnership each participant will present their results and reasoning behind their plan.
- Time Commitment: June 13 – 29 (Tuesday – Thursday) 3:30 PM – 5:30 PM
- Potential YE Academy Points Possible: 75
National Baseball Conference, World Series
Wichita’s longest and most historic running event is in rebuilding mode. Since 1935, the NBC World Series has been hosting the best collegiate age amateur baseball players from around the country. YE students can have a big impact on the future success of the National Baseball Congress World Series. Youth Entrepreneurs and NBC are searching for 20 YE students to plan, coordinate and execute a baseball/softball skills competition aimed at building a lasting relationship with our community’s youth baseball and softball players. As the NBC moves forward, its focus is to attract a new loyal fan base that will continue to attend the NBC Tournament for many years. The 83rd NBC World Series is July 22nd-August 6th, 2017.
- Required Dates: TBD
- Tournament Dates: July 22nd – August 6th
- Potential YE Academy Point Possible: 65
RSM Marketing has created the ultimate apprentice experience. 14 YE alumni from the Wichita area will work in teams to develop a full blown marketing campaign to introduce a new division for an existing client! Throughout the partnership students will be mentored by marketing experts at RSM to help them with different aspects of their project from creating a budget to developing a magazine ad and script for a TV commercial! On the final day each team will present their campaign to a panel of client executives.
- Partnership Commitment: June 5 – July 13 (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 12 – 3PM) Est. 10 hours/week
- Lunch will be provided
- Potential YE Academy Points Possible: 200